FARM HOUSE, SOMERSET COUNTY, NJ
  • Share this portfolio
  • Previous Portfolio
  • Next Portfolio
  • Portfolio Detail
  • Change Portfolio Zoom
  • Portfolio List
  • Close Video

FARM HOUSE, SOMERSET COUNTY, NJ

15 June, 2015

NAME: Farm House
PROJECT TYPE: Historic Renovation and Additions
LOCATION: Somerset County, New Jersey
SIZE: 4,920 S.F. Existing / 2,910 S.F. New
SERVICES: Programming, Procurement of Variances and Architecture

DESCRIPTION

The project involved renovating and expanding a 1720’s stone farm house in New Jersey’s Horse Country. While the building was not in the Historic Registry, its vintage and intriguing past gave it historic interest. Therefore, the main thrust of the project, beyond providing the Clients all the spaces and amenities required by their lifestyle, was to preserve and enhance the architectural integrity of the old stone structure.

A poorly constructed early 1900’s extension was torn down and new spaces were added, recreating the original courtyard and architectural details that gave the house its charm. The additions included a new Front Vestibule with Powder Room and Coat Closet, a Mud Room with space for the dogs and a shower to wash them, a “Living Kitchen,” Great Room, and Library on the main level; and a Master Suite, Laundry Room and In-Suite Bedroom for the couple’s son on the second floor.

Existing Rooms in the original stone house were completely refurbished – exterior walls furred out and insulated, new energy-efficient windows replaced the old, existing fireplaces cleaned and restored, and original architectural details painstakingly reproduced and installed throughout to tie new construction and old. Both wings of the house work well together and it is virtually impossible to tell the original from the new.

Additionally, a new barn provides space for garages, a hunt room and storage space for gear, a gym, and two horses, The restoration and expansion of the existing house, coupled with the addition of the barn, transformed the twenty-four acre property into a place of beauty for the couple to enjoy their retirement.